Bringing the musical community together since 1891.
The Philadelphia Music Teachers Association
The Philadelphia Music Teachers Association (PhMTA) was organized as a local music teachers association in 1891. Theodore Presser, teacher and music publisher, founded the organization to promote the professional interests of teachers and improve the quality of teaching.
The Board reorganized the association’s program in 1960 and developed the format we follow today. We offer the Dr. Andor Kiszely Solo, Concerto and Ensemble Recitals which require an audition.
In 1989 the organization voted to join the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA), which offers expanded opportunities for PhMTA’s members and their students to participate in regional and national fesitivals and competitions. The Dorothy Sutton Performance Festival is held as a preliminary performance in which students are evaluated by an adjudicator. If the student is evaluated as well prepared, they may go on to the State competitions.
“The Music of Nathaniel Detts” - Venue Online or Jacobs Music TBAApril 30, 2022 (12-3PM)
Deadline to register: March 7, 2022, Postmark deadline for checks: March 7, 2022May 7, 2022
Dr. Andor & Joy Kiszeley Carnegie Hall Recital
Winners of the Auditioned recital performance in New York City, NYJune 24-26, 2022
PMTA State Conference
Seven Springs Mountain Resort Champion, PA
Here are some of our highlights from previous events with members and teachers commemorating achievements and reaching milestones together.
Become A Member Today
The Philadelphia Music Teachers Association offers:
- Programs given by distinguished musicians and educators addressing the various aspects of the teaching of music.
- Performance opportunities including the annual Members Recital at Jacobs Music, and informal “Salon Musicales” held in members’ homes.
- Recitals and Performance Festivals for our students, and the opportunity to participate in PMTA and MTNA events.
- Opportunities to network with other music professionals in the community.
- Further opportunities for growth through State and National conferences and the MTNA Certification program.
Meet The Whole Board
Meet our board members who all have distinguished careers and achievements in music spanning decades, whose passion for music extends far beyond the classrooms.